Whether it’s part of your spring cleaning routine, or something you do at other times of the year, learning how to clean a mattress is an important skill. Keep reading and we’ll show you how you can have a fresh, clean mattress in no time, with materials you already have at home.
Materials needed to clean a mattress
Unlike other household cleaning tasks, when you clean a mattress you DON’T have to buy special cleaning chemicals. Instead, you can use these common household materials to easily get the job done:
- Vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment
- Dish soap, laundry detergent, or enzyme cleaner
- Cold water
- Rags or microfiber cloths
- Baking powder or unscented cat litter
7 Easy Steps to Clean a Mattress
Cleaning a mattress does take some time, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. Here’s how you can do it in 7 easy steps:
- Remove sheets, pillows, mattress covers, and comforters.
- Wash all bedding, preferably in warm or hot water.
- Vacuum your mattress thoroughly, including the ribbing along the edge. (This helps remove surface dirt, dust mites, and dry skin.)
- Remove mattress stains by using dish soap (or an enzyme cleaner), cold water, and a rag to blot the stain.
- Get rid of mattress odors by sprinkling a layer of baking soda or unscented cat litter on top and leaving it overnight.
- The next day, vacuum your mattress again to fully remove the baking soda or cat litter.
- Make your bed with your newly cleaned bedding and enjoy!
Mattress Cleaning Do’s and Don’ts
Whether you clean a mattress once a year or more frequently, it’s important to remember these important tips:
- DO know what type of mattress you have (memory foam, inner spring, gel, latex, hybrid, etc.). Then, only use the appropriate cleaner for that type.
- DON’T soak your mattress when cleaning. This encourages mold growth if the mattress doesn’t fully dry out.
- DO use a water-resistant mattress cover. This can help protect from spills, stains, and dust, making regular cleaning easier.
- DON’T scrub stains vigorously. This can actually push the stain further into the mattress material and make it difficult or impossible to remove.
Everyday Cleaning Made Easy
So there you have it … an easy way to clean a mattress so you can sleep better at night! Now, what about the rest of your household cleaning? Do you struggle to find the time to manage all of your cleaning chores amongst your work, personal, and life obligations? We can help!
At Cinderella Cleaners, we offer everything from laundry and light cleaning to deluxe cleaning services and everything in between. We clean so you can relax and enjoy all the benefits of a clean home.
Simply contact us to get a free quote and you’ll see why we’ve been THE trusted cleaning company in Tucson, AZ for over a decade!