Thanks to COVID-19 and a renewed focus on healthy living, there’s been an increased interest in clean homes, offices, schools, and other public buildings. While stricter cleaning protocols may dictate what commercial locations must clean and when, how do you know when you should clean everything in your home? We’re glad you asked!
The benefits of a clean home are great, but there’s certainly no need to clean everything every day. We’ve compiled some guidelines that you can use to focus your cleaning efforts. However, it’s important to remember that these are just that … guidelines. Your cleaning schedule may vary based on household size and activity so feel free to adapt these cleaning recommendations as needed.
When to Clean Everything: Guidelines by Day, Week, Month and Year
Items to Clean Every Day
While your entire home doesn’t need to be cleaned on a daily basis, there are individual items that need to be cleaned every day. These include:
- Sponges, dirty dishes, and kitchen countertops
- Bathroom countertops and hand towels
- Remote controls, keyboards, and phones
- High traffic areas like kitchen or entryway floors
- Dirty laundry (if you’ve accumulated enough)
- Pro tip: It’s also a good idea to sanitize high touch areas daily.
What to Clean Each Week
Once you have your daily cleaning down pat, here are some cleaning tasks to focus on each week:
- Sweep/vacuum and mop kitchen, bathroom, and any other non-carpeted floors.
- Do a quick clean of kitchen appliances – you might be amazed at how quickly food and debris builds up on them!
- Wash bathroom fixtures, toilets, tubs, and showers.
- Dust on, around, and behind furniture – it doesn’t take long for dust bunnies to move in!
- Vacuum carpets and cloth covered furniture.
- Clean your microwave. Follow the pro tip below for a fresh, clean microwave in minutes!
Monthly Cleaning Chores
Areas that take longer to clean or don’t get dirty as quickly can be washed or cleaned on a monthly basis. Add these cleaning tasks to your to-do list:
- Vacuum air vents for your heater or air conditioner. This can help you keep your family’s allergies at bay by reducing the amount of dust floating around your home.
- Dust light fixtures including chandeliers, lamps, and track lights.
- Dust window or door blinds.
- Clean your washing machine – it’s often one of the most common causes of funky household smells!
What to Clean Every 3-6 Months or Yearly
Lastly, there are some items and household spaces that can go several months or a whole year between cleanings. Here’s what to focus on:
- Clean out your refrigerator and wash out the inside. Pro tip: This is a great way to get your home ready for the holidays. You’ll get rid of expired food, have a clean fridge, AND have plenty of room for holiday goodies.
- Do a deep oven clean, including the rangetop and hood.
- Shampoo the carpets.
- Wash your windows and curtains.
- Clean your mattress. To keep it fresh on a regular basis, follow the pro tip below.
Not Excited About Having to Clean Everything?
No problem … That’s what WE are here for! Cinderella Cleaners has been helping families and homeowners in the Tucson area have clean homes for over a decade. And, we have a variety of professional cleaning services to meet your unique needs and household budget. Simply contact us today to get your free quote and then pick the cleaning schedule that works best for YOU!