Having clean windows might feel like a pie-in-the-sky dream some days. This is especially true if you’re trying to keep your house clean with kids running around on a daily basis.
The simplest solution, of course, is to hire a professional cleaning company to do the job. While we highly recommend that, it IS helpful to know how to clean windows yourself, especially if you need them touched up between cleaning visits.
Let’s take a look at some easy window cleaning solutions you can make yourself. Then, we’ll share some of our favorite tips to help you clean like a pro.
Window cleaning materials to have on hand
There certainly isn’t any shortage of window cleaning solutions on the market today. But, that doesn’t mean you have to buy some fancy or expensive product to get the job done. In fact, you can make your own cleaning solution with ingredients you likely already have at home.
Here are a couple of options:
- Mix ½ cup of white vinegar, 2 cups of distilled water, and 10 drops of an essential oil in a spray bottle. Shake gently and use!
- Combine ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol with 2-3 tablespoons of white vinegar in a spray bottle. Then, add 1 cup of distilled water, swirl gently, and your DIY cleaning solution is ready to use.
- Mix a few drops of your favorite dish soap with 16 oz. of hot water in a spray bottle and you have your own ready-to-use cleaner.
In addition to having the right cleaning fluid, you should also have these materials on hand:
- A brush with soft bristles – for cleaning out window tracks and hard-to-reach areas.
- Squeegee or microfiber cloth
- Bucket or spray bottle
- Ladder – for reaching window tops
- Rubber gloves – to keep your hands free of debris and odors
6 tips to help you clean windows like the professionals
Now that you have the right materials, it’s time to learn more about how to clean windows so you get that streak-free shine.
Follow these simple steps and you’ll be cleaning like a pro:
- Choose your cleaning day. Believe it or not, it’s actually preferred to clean windows on a cloudy day. Your cleaning solution won’t dry as quickly, leaving you more time to get the window clean.
- Pick your window cleaning solution. The choice is yours, and there’s plenty to choose from! Either buy a product from the store, or make your own with the recipes above.
- Follow directions. Here, we’re talking about physical directions, not those you’d read in a how-to manual. The best way to get clean windows is to clean from left to right and top to bottom.
- Break out the squeegee. You’ve probably seen professional cleaners use these, but you can, too! In fact, using a squeegee is a great way to make sure no residue gets left behind.
- No squeegee? An old T-shirt will work! The key to getting really clean windows is making sure you use a lint-free cloth.
- Beware of water stains on your woodwork. Sometimes, cleaning solution can drip or spray onto the woodwork around your windows. Simply protect it with a dry towel or cloth while you’re cleaning. If you do get spots on the wood, check out our blog about removing water stains from wood for some helpful tips.
Not quite a pro? Call in the professionals for clean windows!
Maybe you’ve tried the tips above and you still can’t quite get the hang of cleaning windows. Or, maybe you simply don’t have the time and can’t be bothered! Either way, our professional cleaning company has expert cleaners on staff who are ready to help!
We offer a variety of cleaning services for customers in and around Tucson and we’d be thrilled to clean for you, too! Simply contact us for a free quote today and you’ll soon be enjoying all the benefits of a clean home.